Health Insurance in the Netherlands

When it comes to insurance in Holland, you need to be covered. If you’re Swiss or from EU/EEA area and you have health insurance through your own national health system, you can get a European Health Insurance Card that covers your basic medical costs in the Netherlands. However, it only applies if you’re studying here, not if you’re working or completing an internship.


As a foreign student, you aren’t obliged to get the Dutch basic health insurance. However, there are some exceptions where it is mandatory:

  • If you, apart from studying, have a paid internship or a part-time job

  • If you’re 30 or older

  • If you’re staying in the Netherlands for more than one year

Nevertheless it is important that you are fully insured when going abroad, you can arrange this with your insurance back home, or you can subscribe specifically to a study abroad insurance such as the ones you can get through Assistance Etudiants.

Interns and workers

If you’re coming here to work or to do a paid internship, you’re obliged to have Dutch public healthcare insurance (zorgverzekering) You can check and compare all the different companies and their policies on Independer or Zorgwijzer - for basic insurance, they’re all pretty much the same.

The fine for not taking out health insurance can be quite high. Note: if you want to take out insurance for liability, accidents, repatriation, dentist services and more, you will need additional or separate insurance, since the basic cover is only for medical expenses. Insurance is paid on a monthly basis and it will be around €90. However, you may be eligible for compensation (healthcare allowance) to cover those costs - find out how to apply for the allowance on the government’s website.

If you don’t have an EHIC and you’re not obliged to take out Dutch public healthcare insurance, you should check if your existing insurance covers your stay in Holland. If not, there are several private insurance companies where you can get it. The best way to find them would be to ask the International Office at your home university or to chat with local friends or colleagues.

Share this with someone

So that others can also benefit from this guide

If you're feeling prepared enoughFind a room