Warm weather, a laid-back lifestyle, beautiful architecture, and delicious food are reasons why 67,000 British citizens have chosen Italy as their new home. If you're keen on moving to Italy in 2022, you should know how the new rules affect you.
Below we'll share advice on:
British citizens can still move to Italy after Brexit. You can travel to Italy visa-free for a total of 90 days within a 180 day period.
You’ll need a visa and a residence permit if you're going to Italy for work, study, family reunification, or a simple visit of more than 90 days.
There're a variety of immigration routes available that you can use to move to Italy after Brexit, as you'll see below.
Italy offers a variety of visas, each with its own set of fees and conditions.
All Italy visa applications require the below documents:
In addition to these, you’ll need to submit specific documents depending on the type of visa you're applying for. Please check these specific requirements as the costs and documents differ depending on your type of visa.
The typical processing time for a visa application is 3 weeks to 3 months. In case of complications, we recommend that you apply for your Italian visa 3 months before your intended date of travel.
Once you obtain a visa for your stay in Italy, you’ll be permitted to enter the country. Once in Italy, you'll need to apply for a residency permit no longer than 8 days after your arrival date.
To apply for an Italian residence permit as a British citizen, do the following:
The type of residence permit you receive depends on the type of long-stay visa you hold.
Here're the most common types of residence permits and their validity:
|Purpose of residence permit||Validity|
|Seasonal work||6-9 months|
|Regular employment||Up to 2 years|
|Family reunification||2 years|
|Golden Visa||2 years|
You’ll be able to receive your Italian residence permit within 4-6 weeks starting from the date of your application. It can take up to 3 months for a permanent residence permit.
After all your paperwork is sorted out, it's important to know what to expect from living in Italy as a British citizen. Here’re some things you’ll need to arrange:
Healthcare in Italy is efficient and mostly free. After you’ve registered as a resident, you’ll be able to have access to the national health system.
If you’re employed or self-employed, you can register for free state healthcare, also known as “iscrizione obbligatoria”. However, if you’re not working or paying social security contributions, you should register with the national health system by paying a fee, known as “iscrizione volontaria”.
If you don’t register with the Italian health system through one of the above methods, you can still sign up for private health insurance.
If you’ve got a UK driving licence issued by the mainland, you can continue to use it in Italy for a limited period:
If you lose your driving licence or need to renew it, you’ll need to exchange your British driving licence for an Italian one.
If your British driving licence was not issued by the mainland, you’ll need to exchange it for an Italian one.
Taxes in Italy are progressive, ranging from 23% to 43%. In addition, regional (0.9% to 1.4%) and local taxes (0.1% to 0.8%) are also imposed.
The Italian tax year runs from the 1st of January and ends on the 31st of December. Italians follow the “Modello Redditi'' which is a model that defines the tax filing deadline on the 30th of November. For this reason, taxes are paid in advance in Italy (40% of the yearly tax is paid in June, and the remaining 60% is paid in November).
Missing any of the deadlines results in a minimum fine of €250, with a potential increase from 120% to 240%.”
Good news: The UK and Italy have reached a double taxation agreement, which means that you don’t pay taxes in both countries on the same income.
The best option for British citizens wanting to retire in Italy is to apply for an elective residency visa. To be eligible for this visa, you must show to have enough money to support yourself.
Here're the requirements to obtain a visa:
After living 5 continuous years in Italy, you can apply for a permanent residence permit. You need to:
Love it in Italy and want to become an Italian citizen? There’re 3 primary paths to gaining Italian citizenship:
You can have dual citizenship as both Italy and the U.K. allow that despite Brexit.
Dual citizenship provides U.K. citizens with many advantages:
For those thinking of moving to Italy after Brexit, this guide should have answered all your questions! Good luck in starting your new adventure!
Please reach out to email@example.com if you have any suggestions or inquiries about the content on this page.