Practical information for living in Ireland


If you are only going to be in Ireland for three months or less, then all you will need to apply for is a C visa, which can be for one entry or multiple entries, with the maximum stay being a total of 90 days. If you want to apply again, you must first exit Ireland and then apply.

If you will be in Ireland for over three months, such as when relocating to Dublin for a semester or two, then you must have a long-stay D visa for one entry. If you want to stay for longer than three months, then you will need to apply for a residence permit.

All citizens of other countries who are studying in Ireland must have a visa. If you are not an EEA national, then you must enroll in full-time courses on the Interim List of Eligible Programmes (ILEP).


When staying in Ireland for more than three months, you must either:

  • Be employed or self-employed, with proof of income

  • Show that you have health insurance and sufficient resources

  • Be enrolled as either a student or a trainee in a vocational school

  • Be a family member of a citizen in the EU with the previous conditions

UK citizens may live in Ireland without any of the above restrictions or conditions.

As mentioned, you must register to stay in Ireland for longer than 90 days. Once you register, you’ll receive a Certificate of Registration (sometimes called a GNIB Card), which is about the size of a credit card, including your photograph, name, address and residency details. This is not an identification card but serves to prove that an individual is a legal resident.

You’ll also receive a stamp in your passport, which will include the time period of your visit to Ireland, as well as the conditions of your stay.

How to apply for registration

As soon as you arrive in Ireland, go to your local immigration registration office so that you may register. In Dublin, this is the Burgh Quay Registration Office. You must book an appointment online to visit. If you reside outside Dublin, you can visit a regional immigration office, usually located in Garda stations.

When you go to your appointment, be sure to bring your passport and any other forms of identification, as well as any documents supporting the purpose of your visit to Ireland.

The registration office will check your documentation and go over the details with you. You may also be asked to provide fingerprints.

Opening a bank account in Ireland

When you decide to open an Irish bank account, you will need two documents: a document to prove your address and one valid form of photo ID, which can include a driver’s license, a passport or a national identity card, if you are from a country in the EU. To show proof of your address, you will need to bring one of these documents:

  • A bank statement (less than 6 months old)

  • A utility bill (less than 6 months old)

  • Correspondence or supporting documents from a government department

If you’ve just moved to Ireland, you may not have any of these documents just yet. However, you can also open a bank account if you’re not a resident of Ireland. You may need to provide access to your financial information from your home bank, as well as a character reference.

Getting an Irish Sim Card

It’s relatively simple to get a sim card in Dublin. You’ll find several different providers, with prices dependent upon the services that are offered.

The telephone companies in Dublin include:

  • Tesco Mobile


  • Vodafone

  • Three

  • O2

Additionally, you can also use a pay-as-you-go phone to have Internet access, as long as you have credits remaining to utilize.

Share this with someone

So that others can also benefit from this guide

If you're feeling prepared enoughFind a room