Health insurance in Ireland

If you are a resident of a country that is part of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you will be able to receive the same healthcare benefits as an Irish citizen. You may also be eligible for a medical card, depending on your income, which will also provide you with no-cost medical benefits.

Students that are moving to Dublin from non-EU countries will not be covered by any medical insurance through the country of Ireland, although some services may be free of charge, so private insurance must be acquired. Medical expenses in Ireland can be quite expensive, so coverage is necessary to avoid costly bills. When registering with the Garda National Immigration Bureau, any students not from countries in the EU or Switzerland must show proof of having medical insurance. It is also required when applying for a student visa.

For students who live in the EU or Switzerland and currently have health insurance, then you will not need any additional coverage.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you are a student from a non-EU or Switzerland, then you are regarded as a resident, as long as you are registered for courses for at least one school year. However, if you are here for a shorter period, you are regarded as a visitor, without any free or reduced-cost healthcare.

How to choose the insurance company

Ireland offers several private health insurance companies to choose from. Providers include Laya Healthcare, VHI Healthcare and Irish Life Healthand HSF Health Plan. Remember that you will be entitled to the same benefits as Irish citizens if you are from a country in the EU or Switzerland.

Share this with someone

So that others can also benefit from this guide

If you're feeling prepared enoughFind a room