Health insurance in Finland

For students

In order to study in Finland, you are required by law to have adequate health insurance. A quick tip: you’ll probably make excursion to nearby Nordic countries, so make sure your health insurance is valid there too.

EU/EEA Residents

If you are from an EU/EEA nation, then you’re in luck. As long as you have a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) then you will be entitled to treatment under your home insurance policy, but at the same cost as is charged to Finnish citizens. Remember that your EHIC is not a substitute for travel insurance. If you have property stolen or require private health care, you’ll need a separate travel insurance policy for this.

Third-country citizens

If you are not from the EU, or certain Nordic countries, then you must take out insurance specifically for your stay in Finland. For students who are studying in Finland for less than 2 years, you must take out private insurance in your home country before moving to Finland. This must cover medical expenses up to €100,000, but the deductible must not exceed €300. The reason for this is that if you do not reside in Finland for more than 2 years, you are not usually granted the Right of Domicile.

However, if you are planning to stay for more than 2 years, for example if you are attending a full university course, then you should be eligible for Right of Domicile which will give you municipal health care services. You must also have private insurance which covers medical expenses up to €30,000 and again, the insurance deductible must not exceed €300.

For interns

It is a legal requirement for all employees in Finland to have occupational health insurance. However, employers are also required to arrange this health insurance - at their own expense - to cover all work-related risks. This only covers you during working hours - any accidents in your spare time will not be insured. As such, you are required to follow the same insurance guidelines as outlined for students. In short, you must take out private insurance unless you’re an EU/EEA citizen.

Share this with someone

So that others can also benefit from this guide

If you're feeling prepared enoughFind a room