Practical information for living in Denmark


For professionals

If you want to live and work in Denmark, you must qualify for a residence and work permit, if you are from a country outside of the Nordic countries or the EU/EEA. These same regulations also apply to volunteer work. The Positive List is a listing of professions that have a shortage of qualified workers. If you qualify for a profession on this list, then it makes the entire process somewhat easier.

For international students

The good news is that EU/EEA students can travel with just your ID, and you won’t even need a visa. You’ll only need a residence permit paper.

Of course, if you aren’t from EU/EEA, or from Switzerland, you will require a visa. You should apply for a visa at least three months before your move to Denmark. The time of processing may vary, and you’ll also have to figure in the time needed to gather up the documents you will need. This documentation includes:

  • Proof of language proficiency
  • Proof of the payment for the visa fee
  • Proof of minimum funds proof, usually around €1,000 per month
  • An acceptance letter from the university
  • A signed and completed application
  • A valid passport or other travel document
  • A passport photo
  • Proof of travel insurance
  • Detailed information about your study program
  • Proof of student accommodation in Copenhagen, or another city in Denmark


The registration number is called a CPR, or a Central Person Register, part of the Civil Registration System.

All residents living in Denmark are required by law to have a CPR number. This number will also provide access to opening a bank account, checking out books at the library, getting a Sim card, signing up for insurance or receiving payment from employment.

The CPR number will be 10 digits long. The first six numbers are your date of birth, including the day, month and year. The last four numbers are a unique identification number. The last four digits show your gender, with odd numbers for men and even numbers for women.

To qualify for a CPR number, you must prove that you are:

  • Living in Denmark for more than three months
  • In possession of a registration certificate

EU citizens can apply for a CPR online, even before they actually receive their registration certificates, but they must have the document in-hand on the day of registration.

Opening a Bank Account in Denmark

As mentioned, you must have a CPR number to open a bank account in Denmark. When going into a banking institution to open an account, be sure to bring in the following documentation:

  • A passport or identification card
  • A document showing your Danish address
  • Your CPR number

Some banks may require additional documentation, such as employment contracts or proof of admittance to an educational institution in Denmark.

Sim card

Keep in mind that pre-paid cards are always more expensive, and they may be especially limiting when it comes to internet usage. So it can be difficult to use the internet on your smartphone without a CPR or a subscription.

Telia, however, has pre-paid options that include the use of data. You can choose between 1GB and 10GB plans, with between one week and three months to use the data.

Share this with someone

So that others can also benefit from this guide

If you're feeling prepared enoughFind a room